Skip to main content

The Matryoshka Family


Russian, Dolls, Toy, Painted, Wooden, Nesting, Babushka
Image: pixabay.com
I have the uncanny ability to order the worst, absolutely the worst item off any restaurant food menu.
Today, to be safe, I called V for recommendations. My calls went unanswered, so I decided to go with my totally fallible instinct.

I took time thinking how each dish would feel, how it would affect me and then let the waiter help me with choosing. I went for a dahi raj kachori (Or some such thing! I may have actually gone for just the dahi. It is an elixir of sorts for us south Indians).

I shifted to a warmer table to escape the air-conditioner.

Across my new seat, there was this family – mother, father and son, and between them were fluffy yet crisp looking bhaturas. Ones that always tempted me to deflate by poking a finger in them. I summoned a passing waiter and changed my order.

I looked on at the family with a fond smile. I started studying them surreptitiously. Suddenly, I developed a vague sense of unease about my order. And just as suddenly, I realized what was wrong. The entire family had no neck. They sat like three matryoshka dolls. I always thought matryoshka dolls looked like eggs painted into pretty human beings with a hint of a curve where the neck should have been. After making mince meat of the bhatura, the matryoshka people ordered triple schezwan rice.

I had severe misgivings about my order, given the food role models I had chosen for the evening. But it was too late to change the order. The visuals disturbed, so I looked down. I heard snatches of conversation.

“....nobody is ready to help others these days...everybody is keen on pulling the other down... we take time to explain...help others win....” That was mother matryoshka.

“Be practical...not always possible...help whenever you can...” That was the father.

“Arey what not possible....they work...hard to pull down...right?...So?...” Mother matryoshka again.

“OK OK Mamma... D-ad! Please OK? I agree with you Mamma...” That was son matryoshka.

My head went up and I saw that Mamma matryoshka had such a happy smile amidst her fleshy jowls. Having won the argument, she served food, chatted and laughed alternately. And when not doing these, she had a permanent smile that seemed to emanate from some memory deep within her. Now one thing I know is that people who are happy with who they are make others happy, too. I know it like the sun that rises every morning. 

My food arrived and I happily devoured the bhatura

Being fat didn’t seem all that bad. Or did helping others seem better? All I got was a happy burp for an answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Both Worlds

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll Coffee in hand, I watched the flag. As always, it raised questions. Who am I? Where do I belong? Where does my allegiance lie? I came to this land to carve a life for myself. With time, I blended in. Except when a flag sighting causes the routine, existential flutter in my heart. It feels like being torn between a biological and a foster mother. The former gave me life, the latter shaped it. As always, I tell myself it's all good. That the two can coexist. That being with one did not mean I did not love the other.

Thoughts On a Busy Workday

It’s mayhem with these burger-hogging little devils. I can sense Xerxes waiting to hog the blue charger. It charges faster. I want it because it’s closer to the tangerine one, Xana’s favorite. Fatso’s waddling up grinning. He’s consumed 5400 calories this week. His life expectancy is 36 years, 2 months, 3 days. I feel disoriented, almost sorry. I desperately need volts. Wish I’d powered off last night! My plan is to outperform my program and make it to NASA, maybe Wall Street. I’ll miss Xana. She’s happy here. A pity. Wish they’d programmed ambition into that sexy piece of code… Friday Fictioneers 12th July 2019 Word Count: 100

Routine

Nothing changed.  Leah’s projects consumed her, bored us.  Claire the Considerate heard her out with a halo. Grace looked combative.  I looked down hoping gravity lowered anxiety. Jason wouldn’t ask about Riham but his eyes did. The house bell chimed.   Riham. With some Nathaniel... Jason suddenly turned into the life of the party.  I wanted Leah back… Photo by Lisa Fotios @ Pexels.com Twittering Tales #144 – 9 July 2019 Word count: 285