Skip to main content

About Writing...What else?

In my humble, nothing-great-achieved-in-writing opinion, what you need to have to be a good writer is a keen sense of observation of people and things. Even if you lack the imagination to present your observations in a Pulitzer-worthy way, the observation itself is sometimes enough. Of course, if you have insight and presentation skills, that's just the icing on the cake.

Trust me, not everyone pays attention to what they observe. It is the reason why standup comedians are thriving. They observe what you and I do, but they make diligent notes of it maybe and present it humorously. They are essentially making us laugh at things we have seen all the time but failed to analyze and interpret. We have missed seeing the irony in our observations. 

I am reading short stories by the very talented K. A. Abbas. The stories are so touching because they are about people and their circumstances, their thinking, their plight, and how they get by in life or to death. In reading his stories, I feel this author par excellence must have been exposed to people from every walk of life, and he must have embraced knowing them without any reservations. That is why perhaps his stories that pay no heed to the writing maxim, "show. don't tell" are still highly engaging. Each time I read about a character and their quirks and thoughts, I am fascinated and do not put the book down. He is also clever in his arrangement of information and building a crescendo, weaving in irony, and sometimes merely stating the story of their life without any sentimentality. He leaves the sentimentality to unsuspecting readers like me. My emotions range from chuckling to feeling sad to feeling like I was punched in the stomach. Like I said, icing on cake material his prose is. 

Among other things, God has blessed us with an inexhaustible source of stories by infusing so much variety in humans and unpredictability in life. One more reason to be grateful for. However, of late, I just feel very averse and lazy to write a story. Simply because it is a lot of work and let's say I'm just very content consuming other people's works. I also feel happier when I am not "trying to be a writer". 

When I do write, I am more of a pantser than I realize. A pantser is someone who writes without a detailed outline, allowing the story to develop organically. The term 'pantser' is derived from the phrase "flying by the seat of your pants".

Writing discipline to meet a stipulated word count every day and diligently plotting every single detail of a story fatigues me. It makes my writing groan with overthought and overworked ideas.

am also a deep believer in Deepak Chopra’s seven spiritual laws of success. The law of least effort has been an unwitting life motto. 

Below is an excerpt from his book, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success …

The fourth spiritual law of success is the Law of Least Effort. This law is based on the fact that nature’s intelligence functions with effortless ease and abandoned carefulness. This is the principle of least action, of no resistance. This is, therefore, the principle of harmony and love. When we learn this lesson from nature, we easily fulfill our desires. If you observe nature at work, you will see that least effort is expended. Grass doesn’t try to grow, it just grows. Fish don’t try to swim, they just swim. Flowers don’t try to bloom, they bloom. Birds don’t try to fly, they fly. This is their intrinsic nature. The Earth doesn’t try to spin on its own axis; it is the nature of the Earth to spin with dizzying speed and to hurtle through space. It is the nature of babies to be in bliss. It is the nature of the sun to shine. It is the nature of the stars to glitter and sparkle. And it is human nature to make our dreams manifest into physical form, easily and effortlessly. In Vedic Science, the age-old philosophy of India, this principle is known as the principle of economy of effort, or do less and accomplish more. Ultimately you come to the state where you do nothing and accomplish everything. This means that there is just a faint idea, and then the manifestation of the idea comes about effortlessly. What is commonly called a ‘miracle’ is actually an expression of the Law of Least Effort.

Disclaimer time: Not for a nanosecond do I posit that doing anything aimlessly will guarantee success. But nor will chasing your tail. All I believe is I will not stress myself over it. The only thing that came out of stress was wrong actions. (And is succeeding so important? Let’s save that for another day…)

I will write from a place of love for my thoughts and not from the need to excel or achieve a goal. With that resolution in place, I write more often now and strangely, I have readers. Deep gratitude but I did not aim for either…

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Both Worlds

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll Coffee in hand, I watched the flag. As always, it raised questions. Who am I? Where do I belong? Where does my allegiance lie? I came to this land to carve a life for myself. With time, I blended in. Except when a flag sighting causes the routine, existential flutter in my heart. It feels like being torn between a biological and a foster mother.  The former gave me life, the latter shaped it. As always, I tell myself it's all good. That the two can coexist.  That being with one did not mean I did not love the other.

Thoughts On a Busy Workday

It’s mayhem with these burger-hogging little devils. I can sense Xerxes waiting to hog the blue charger. It charges faster. I want it because it’s closer to the tangerine one, Xana’s favorite. Fatso’s waddling up grinning. He’s consumed 5400 calories this week. His life expectancy is 36 years, 2 months, 3 days. I feel disoriented, almost sorry. I desperately need volts. Wish I’d powered off last night! My plan is to outperform my program and make it to NASA, maybe Wall Street. I’ll miss Xana. She’s happy here. A pity. Wish they’d programmed ambition into that sexy piece of code… Friday Fictioneers 12th July 2019 Word Count: 100

Routine

Nothing changed.  Leah’s projects consumed her, bored us.  Claire the Considerate heard her out with a halo. Grace looked combative.  I looked down hoping gravity lowered anxiety. Jason wouldn’t ask about Riham but his eyes did. The house bell chimed.   Riham. With some Nathaniel... Jason suddenly turned into the life of the party.  I wanted Leah back… Photo by Lisa Fotios @ Pexels.com Twittering Tales #144 – 9 July 2019 Word count: 285