Skip to main content

Joy-rich

Yesterday, as I was washing the dishes, a lovely stream of thoughts worth jotting down came to me in a steady, comforting flow. It was heartwarming how one thought smoothly flowed into another and another. But none of the thoughts affected me. I guess this is what they call the meditative state. If so, I often get into it when I am working with my hands. I was so sure I would be able to write down my thoughts the next day. Unfortunately, I can only write about how I could not. I need that recorder built into my body now. Desperately. It's a bit dampening when you hit a wall where your memories are or were.

I feel so utterly charged up and good this morning. Sometimes, I just feel happy that I feel happy—that I can look forward to the day, buzzing with a million things to do. I keep thanking the good Lord for it so that this feeling continues. It is my bank account, honestly. I just keep depositing happiness coins into it every day. Imagine a world where you have the best of everything, and it does nothing to stop you from wanting to die or harm yourself or others. See? Any day happiness coins over real-world currency for me. But I work and earn because my happiness currency is not accepted in the real world. Yet.

Can you imagine if it was? Some would be joy-rich, while others would be sorrow-stricken or borderline cases just below, above, or on the felicity line. But I foresee a lot of administrative issues. How will the system verify the authenticity of the happiness currency? For example, what if a guy walks up to the bank, grins at the cashier, deposits 1 lakh rupees worth happiness currency and then goes home and sobs his heart out or, worse, kills himself or someone else?

It brings to my mind this favorite poem…

 Richard Cory

Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked,
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich--yes, richer than a king--
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Coming back to happiness currency, it is complicated, but we could work out a system if we put our minds to it, I guess.

I still struggle to recall my thoughts from yesterday. Nada. Not a drop from that stream of consciousness. Anyway, they may come later, or there may just be better thoughts. However, I wrote today in the smoothest manner possible because I just followed my thoughts and typed on. I did not strive to be a great writer nor did I aim to sound intelligent or creative. I did not look for great words or write for hits. I wrote for my thoughts, to give them life on paper, and to see if they hum, flow, jump, and jumble on the page as well. 

 I wish I could write a poemystery like Mr. Edwin Arlington Robinson. Sigh. But happy that Mr. Robinson wrote this lovely gem for posterity.

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Both Worlds

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll Coffee in hand, I watched the flag. As always, it raised questions. Who am I? Where do I belong? Where does my allegiance lie? I came to this land to carve a life for myself. With time, I blended in. Except when a flag sighting causes the routine, existential flutter in my heart. It feels like being torn between a biological and a foster mother. The former gave me life, the latter shaped it. As always, I tell myself it's all good. That the two can coexist. That being with one did not mean I did not love the other.

Thoughts On a Busy Workday

It’s mayhem with these burger-hogging little devils. I can sense Xerxes waiting to hog the blue charger. It charges faster. I want it because it’s closer to the tangerine one, Xana’s favorite. Fatso’s waddling up grinning. He’s consumed 5400 calories this week. His life expectancy is 36 years, 2 months, 3 days. I feel disoriented, almost sorry. I desperately need volts. Wish I’d powered off last night! My plan is to outperform my program and make it to NASA, maybe Wall Street. I’ll miss Xana. She’s happy here. A pity. Wish they’d programmed ambition into that sexy piece of code… Friday Fictioneers 12th July 2019 Word Count: 100

Routine

Nothing changed.  Leah’s projects consumed her, bored us.  Claire the Considerate heard her out with a halo. Grace looked combative.  I looked down hoping gravity lowered anxiety. Jason wouldn’t ask about Riham but his eyes did. The house bell chimed.   Riham. With some Nathaniel... Jason suddenly turned into the life of the party.  I wanted Leah back… Photo by Lisa Fotios @ Pexels.com Twittering Tales #144 – 9 July 2019 Word count: 285