Skip to main content

Old Age Insurance



The Indian idea of children looking after parents has to change to be a little healthier. I know I sound brutal and uncaring. But in India, one of the primary reasons why a child is borne is that the child will look after you in your old age. When I married at the age of 45, I was told I should have a kid - so that I am "looked after in my old age".

"Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you."

 Khalil Gibran

I did not think of "insuring my old age" by bearing a progeny because I believe in Mr. Gibran. And I have some romantic ideas about my unborn child. I think I love my child so much that I wouldn't bring it into a world where I may not be around to love and protect it. And I also believe in pumping my children with a lot of unconditional love and setting them free. And no complaints if they don't come back to me because I will never stop loving them. So, you see how the concept of a child as old age insurance does not hold water for me. It is a vile concept, if you ask me. Completely twisted. It is opportunistic love at its very worst.

I'd rather produce a robot in a lab to look after me than saddle an innocent life with an unwelcome burden even before it is born. Besides, I have managed 50 years of my life doing my stuff entirely on my own. So, the idea of depending on anyone in my old age is anathema to me.  

Of course, I know how vulnerable old age can be. I know the insecurities, debilitating health and consequent unhappiness and fears of seniors. But I am also surrounded by seniors who are very dignified and independent in their mindset and do not expect someone to wait on them hand and foot. They only expect their children to do for them tasks that their age and diminished health disallow them from doing. That is a fair ask, considering they stayed up nights calming you as a wailing newborn, nursed you through sickness, and simply grew you into the fine person you turned out to be.

Which is why I say a departure from an entitled mindset is much needed. And entirely possible.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Both Worlds

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll Coffee in hand, I watched the flag. As always, it raised questions. Who am I? Where do I belong? Where does my allegiance lie? I came to this land to carve a life for myself. With time, I blended in. Except when a flag sighting causes the routine, existential flutter in my heart. It feels like being torn between a biological and a foster mother. The former gave me life, the latter shaped it. As always, I tell myself it's all good. That the two can coexist. That being with one did not mean I did not love the other.

Thoughts On a Busy Workday

It’s mayhem with these burger-hogging little devils. I can sense Xerxes waiting to hog the blue charger. It charges faster. I want it because it’s closer to the tangerine one, Xana’s favorite. Fatso’s waddling up grinning. He’s consumed 5400 calories this week. His life expectancy is 36 years, 2 months, 3 days. I feel disoriented, almost sorry. I desperately need volts. Wish I’d powered off last night! My plan is to outperform my program and make it to NASA, maybe Wall Street. I’ll miss Xana. She’s happy here. A pity. Wish they’d programmed ambition into that sexy piece of code… Friday Fictioneers 12th July 2019 Word Count: 100

Routine

Nothing changed.  Leah’s projects consumed her, bored us.  Claire the Considerate heard her out with a halo. Grace looked combative.  I looked down hoping gravity lowered anxiety. Jason wouldn’t ask about Riham but his eyes did. The house bell chimed.   Riham. With some Nathaniel... Jason suddenly turned into the life of the party.  I wanted Leah back… Photo by Lisa Fotios @ Pexels.com Twittering Tales #144 – 9 July 2019 Word count: 285